Temperate Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pipefish, Sea Horses, & Related Species

+4
froglover007
Brent
Jacobnano
Hero
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Pipefish, Sea Horses, & Related Species - Page 2 Empty Re: Pipefish, Sea Horses, & Related Species

Post by ~ocean November 27th 2009, 3:21 pm

lol yea they swim real slow.
~ocean
~ocean

Back to top Go down

Pipefish, Sea Horses, & Related Species - Page 2 Empty Re: Pipefish, Sea Horses, & Related Species

Post by soggydrysuit November 27th 2009, 4:21 pm

Absolutely no chance of getting a permit to collect any seahorses here, they're just clinging on.

I hear you - I've a few different setups. You wouldn't call a pinktail trigger slow, would you?! I've one of those living in harmony with a humbug damsel.

I'm hopefully getting a T. fluvilatus puffer on mon to take from FW to full marine - they're already 3" at the shop. I'm rigging a fw tank for it/them with mature internal power filters from another fw setup and I'll ramp the sal up slowly at 0.001 s.g. per water change to boost them to marine.

I've a couple of cold 5C marine tanks also, one has a bunch of juvie shanny blennies in plus a few other bits, the other is full of beadlet anemones. Have tried growing seaweed attached to it's rock but that didn't work probably because I didn't throw enough light at it.

I've a 300W double metal halide unit but couldn't rig it because the coldest place, the garage, I have is full of cats.

MeYOOOWWWWWW!

BTW, did you know that seadragons are photo sensitive - switch a light on in the wrong way and you can kill them instantly? Check out 'Simply Exotics' with a seahorse extra keyword, near warrington, UK and you will see. They are amazing!
soggydrysuit
soggydrysuit
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by soggydrysuit November 27th 2009, 4:30 pm

Oh, I've also got a fw pipefish although it's a pig to feed. This does get live only, usually daphnia or mysis etc

I've had it for six months and it's a bloke.

Very Happy
soggydrysuit
soggydrysuit
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero November 27th 2009, 8:39 pm

That sounds really cool. Do you have pictures? I have never heard of FW pipefish. Are you sure about the seadragon thing? Sounds pretty fake to me. But i'll be sure and check that site.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ~ocean November 28th 2009, 1:21 pm

cool! can you post pics of that FW pipefish?
~ocean
~ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by soggydrysuit November 30th 2009, 4:59 am

will do, when I'm at home and can bully my camera into working. It's quite secretive, so you might just see a head!

Hopefully getting my puffs tonight.

I've heard about the dragons being light sensitive from a couple of people. The guy at simply exotics (simply seahorses, used to be) sometimes imports F1 juvies for public aquariums.

He'd like to have a crack at breeding them when they have the correct tank - six feet deep in order to give them enough height to perform their breeding dances.
soggydrysuit
soggydrysuit
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero December 1st 2009, 9:20 pm

Thats really cool that you know all of this. What kind of puffs?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by soggydrysuit December 2nd 2009, 4:57 am

They are T. fluvilatus, if I've spelled the latin correctly! I've been posting over on the puffer forum - good info on puffs!
soggydrysuit
soggydrysuit
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 2nd 2009, 5:40 am

Thats where we all learned our knowledge of puffs. As far as I know at least. Some of the best experts iv met on that site.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by soggydrysuit December 2nd 2009, 5:46 am

Agreed, I've not found anywhere remotely as good
soggydrysuit
soggydrysuit
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntokian December 2nd 2009, 5:57 am

Im glad I found it fairly quickly when I first got interested in the thought.
Bluntokian
Bluntokian
Pacific Sunfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero December 5th 2009, 1:57 am

Same here. They helped me with trimming heros teeth and everything. Do you post frequently there drysuit?
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by soggydrysuit December 7th 2009, 4:49 am

Yes, I've just set up a puffer tank so am trying to learn all I can.

It's things like not using copper based meds to treat ick just with puffers because they are scaleless fish and don't tolerate it. They recommend using aquarium salt instead if the puffs are in fw. Very useful, if mine get it.

My tank is just really a qt at the moment - they're being moved to a much larger tank when I've set up a vat for my Pacu and moved it over.

I tried to take some pics of the pipe - not very good as I really need a macro lens for pics of him but I'll try and post something...
soggydrysuit
soggydrysuit
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by ~ocean December 10th 2009, 10:33 pm

how's the FW pipefish.... photos yet?
~ocean
~ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by soggydrysuit December 11th 2009, 4:49 am

Hi there,

He's fine, needs some more daphnia! I put in about six bags twice a week now we're in the cold over here and I can't get it from my pond or water butt.

I should really culture my own indoors, I think all I need to do is generate green water by leaving blanched cabbage or lettice leaves in pop bottles, then feed to the daphnia.

The photo's I've got are a bit rubbish but I'll try to post one this eve. If I fiddle with some lighting (there is none on his tank) and use my close up it may be better.
soggydrysuit
soggydrysuit
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by ~ocean December 11th 2009, 8:42 pm

alright!

wow! 6 bags 2x a week!

how big of an aquarium do you need to maintain a FW pipefish?
~ocean
~ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by soggydrysuit December 12th 2009, 12:46 pm

Hi guys,

I had trouble posting images here but I've posted them in 'The Puffer Forum' under FW tanks. Hope you don't mind!
soggydrysuit
soggydrysuit
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by ~ocean December 13th 2009, 12:49 pm

that's one cool FW pipefish! wow, 5 days to consume a bag of daphina!
~ocean
~ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero December 13th 2009, 4:48 pm

Maybe ocean can post the pictures here. Drysuit theres an icon that looks like a floppy disk but its actually a picture of a tree. Just paste the image location in there and it should work.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ~ocean December 16th 2009, 6:15 pm

will do but I'm only on for a few minutes so maybe later...
~ocean
~ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero December 17th 2009, 10:24 pm

Sounds great.
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ~ocean December 18th 2009, 7:56 pm

Left: Southern gulf
2405 x 1801 - 477k - jpg
seadragonfoundation.org Right A southern gulf
800 x 588 - 113k - jpg
seadragonfoundation.org Syngnathus scovelli,
472 x 340 - 11k - jpg
sealitsoc.org in the Gulf pipefish,
640 x 480 - 47k - jpg
bio.tamu.edu
Find similar images University of Oklahoma
559 x 707 - 107k - jpg
ou.edu Gulf Pipefish
300 x 210 - 12k - jpg
sms.si.edu

reversed Gulf
370 x 412 - 117k - jpg
bio.tamu.edu
Find similar images in the gulf pipefish
250 x 348 - 15k - jpg
biology-blog.com a) Southern Gulf
216 x 207 - 21k - jpg
ifg.bioteck.org Gulf Pipefish
700 x 525 - 508k - jpg
reefscavengers.com pipefishes,
640 x 480 - 27k - jpg
nicholls.edu Male gulf pipefish
200 x 120 - 4k - jpg
sms.si.edu

Gulf Pipefish Mullet
360 x 480 - 72k - jpg
dep.state.fl.us
Find similar images Gulf pipefish
723 x 189 - 19k - jpg
bio.txstate.edu scovelli (Gulf
600 x 126 - 37k - jpg
gwsphotos.com (Gulf pipefish) male
600 x 121 - 36k - jpg
gwsphotos.com "Gulf
409 x 269 - 36k - jpg
mlssa.asn.au scovelli (Gulf
211 x 152 - 9k - jpg
fishbase.org.cn
~ocean
~ocean

Back to top Go down

Pipefish, Sea Horses, & Related Species - Page 2 Empty Pipes - any of you kept them?

Post by soggydrysuit December 21st 2009, 5:41 am

I've kept a few species in the past as well as the current fw one. Did have a pair of the dwarf blue stripe pipes which were lovely - you can sex them by looking for ridges on the top of the males nose, the girls have none. Males will fight but you can keep a pair. If they're feeding on dead mysis they are easy to keep.

I also had a coldwater snake pipefish I found in seaweed on a UK beach. Kept that for a while then released it.

There's another species called a worm pipefish which lives on beaches near were any fw streams hit the beach. I might have a look for those next time I'm on the beach.

There's a link to the coldwater ones here http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Pipefish.htm

Cheers!
soggydrysuit
soggydrysuit
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero December 23rd 2009, 10:04 pm

I think thats a fail ocean Laughing.

Thats a great link drysuit!
Hero
Hero
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ~ocean December 27th 2009, 4:09 pm

dang... what the heck happened? oh well, it's also known as a gulf pipefish
~ocean
~ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next